Explore the chemistry of biological and bio-inspired systems
Are you an undergraduate interested in research in chemistry or chemical biology? If so, please consider joining us in summer 2024 for an exciting research experience at the University of Pittsburgh!
In this NSF-funded Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program, you will join a cutting-edge research project in which you will do things like:
- Develop a new chemical reaction, possibly informed by machine learning techniques,
- Synthesize novel bioactive molecules and materials,
- Apply cutting-edge techniques in chemical biology to interrogate chemical events in live cells,
- Use sophisticated spectroscopic techniques to characterize polymers and biomacromolecules,
- Model chemical or biological processes using sophisticated computer simulations,
- And much more!
Along the way, you will:
- Receive a stipend of $6,000 for the 10-week program, free on-campus housing, reimbursements for travel, and a meal allowance of $847.
- Work with trained faculty and graduate student mentors to develop your research skills and prepare to apply to graduate school,
- Participate in an engaging research community and experience what it is like to be a professional chemist,
- Participate in collaboration with Prof. Kevin Binning at the Department of Psychology at Pitt, and
- Enjoy exploring the fun city of Pittsburgh, PA!
We hope you will join us in Summer 2024! We expect to fund more than 10 positions in 2024.
Program date: May 28 to Aug 2, 2024
Ready to join us?
Questions before you apply?
This program is generously supported by the National Science Foundation and the University of Pittsburgh.